Community Journal

edited December 2016 in Lounge
What have you been up to? Whats on your mind? Feel free to share your experiences, life updates, thoughts, ideas, rants, or whatever else you feel like discussing. Relaxed conversations of all kinds are welcome here.

Comments

• I spent the day working on Senjougahara's site. Not done yet but I hope to be soon. Here's a link: http://senjougahara.com/. None of the nav links actually go anywhere yet. I don't know what to do with the background but it has to be Monogatari related so I may use scenery from the show.
  • I haven't seen a toad today. Will update when I see one.
  • edited September 2014
    @nameless, please do

yesterday i visited our local marsh and walked some of the trails for an hour with a group of people who were there to share knowledge on conservation and the wildlife inhabiting the wetlands. at one point the others stopped for a good 15 minutes just to talk about this one species of plant that grew in the area. i didn't have anything to add but it was great.

heres a couple photos i took on the trails, i was hoping to see more species of animals (especially birds, they have eagle nests in the foresty areas, and tons of herons and egrets along the water's edge) but we mostly stayed in the prairies.
    gGyl9PN.jpg
    gNIgGM6.jpg
    RzDnbi8.jpg
    p8IRFWt.jpg
    HqYKIxI.jpg
    fKyYdfA.jpg
    ahWl8TY.jpg

last photo was the remains of a fish left right near the edge of one of the ponds, i was a lot more overjoyed to see this than anybody else who attended i think heh. regardless, i was really glad to be involved in something like this. i don't know nearly as much about natural history as the people i walked with so i see it as a great learning opportunity, and a good way to get away from the bustle of suburban life.
  • HEY what if theres oxygen in space but the government dont want anyone escaping???
  • HEY

what would happen if you are inside a sphere mirror and shine a lazer beam, would it reflect in an infinity ammount of reflections?
  • it would go back and forth, forever
  • edited September 2014
    @najimi
    I'm fond of your site so far. Senjougahara is actually my second favorite character in the Monogatari series.
    I have a suggestion for your background issue, personally if I were you, I would've gone with this as a background. It goes well with the entire color scheme you're going with. This is just an example. if you modify the image more appropriately than I did.

Edit: Found a transparent image of her
  • edited September 2014
    Lately I've been a recluse. I thought that I had expelled too much energy with too many commitments, and my introversion had peaked. I think I was wrong about the root of the reclusion, and it goes back to the first season of House. There's an episode called “DNR” about a musician named John Henry Giles. He gave a short speech that sparked a fiery debate in my head, and It's been raging for years.

The reason normal people got wives and kids and hobbies, whatever. That’s because they don’t got that one thing that hits them that hard and that true. I got music, you got this. The thing you think about all the time, the thing that keeps you south of normal. Yeah, makes us great, makes us the best. All we miss out on is everything else. No woman waiting at home after work with the drink and the kiss, that ain’t gonna happen for us.

Don't get me wrong here. You can have your work and a family. Most people do. But if you want to take your work as far as you possibly can, there's no denying that a family would detract from it. It's a trade. I can prioritize my work, my family, or some balance between the two.

The question becomes whether I can do my best work, or very close, and still have some semblance of a family. Maybe there's someone out there who would be okay with my leaving to work in isolation throughout our lives together, but that sounds very bleak. It's not the kind of thing you want to ask of someone you love, ya know? But it's something I've needed from my friends, and most have been great about it.

This should pass in early October, but it's an interesting reminder of what my work means to me. I feel compelled to take a step back from my friends, to avoid meeting new people here, to neglect things that need to be done outside of the work.

“All we miss out on is everything else.” Is my work worth this to me? I can't say for sure that it isn't, and my reclusion suggests that my choice has been made on some unconscious level. Maybe my priorities will just shift someday, but this is where I am right now.
  • @Nova: Heh, I use that one for my tumblr's mascots. I think backgrounds like that are better fit for wallpapers. If the window were smaller it wouldn't work too well. I was looking for a pattern that could repeat as well as the previous backgrounds that I had: 1, 2. I settled on the gifs that are used right now but they're really noisy. Any other ideas based on that? Also who's your favorite? Shinobu?

@anshin: I think it'll change once your need to work changes. Meaning that once you're more established and once things are easier you'll be free to do more of what you want to do. I don't mean that work won't be something you want to do—of course it will—but you won't be consumed by it unless you want to be. Right now, for us, work is a necessity to live and so putting off things with others is reasonable; our friends are great about this and it's awesome, but finding anything other than platonic love in this state is difficult.
  • edited September 2014
    @najimi: When I refer to my best work, I'm referring to my life's work. Maybe someday I'll value something more, but I want it to be a very conscious decision. With or without the reclusive feeling, I'll need the isolation sometimes.

The interesting thing in this particular case is that my compulsion is evidence that my subconscious prioritizes the work.
  • I decided to go with two other backgrounds that aren't as noisy and repeat nicely: 1, 2. They're newspapers from Senjougahara's room. Haven't had the chance to push my changes yet but I'm happy with them.
  • Still no toad. I even went to a pet store.
  • My cousin found a toad at a benefit I attended. I didn't think of you, but I should've.

• Celebrating Christmas early
  • @Malkav: that was surprisingly cheerful.

Lately I'm having trouble writing things. I'll start paraphrasing what I want to write inside of my head while I'm away from my computer and once I'm actually back I'll lose motivation. I've been wanting to write a blog post about self change that basically explains that changing your mind about things is ok and you aren't betraying yourself by doing so. I wanted to do this because a friend of mine felt like a hypocrite after they changed their mind on something that was once important to them. So I wrote a few paragraphs about it but I wasn't satisfied at all and scrapped it. I don't know what angle I should go with. I already discussed it with them so it's not pressing, but I still want to do it.
  • edited October 2014
    My dad is buying a truck today, and he said (possibly as a joke) that he's buying it for me and that I'll learn to drive a stick shift. I've been thinking about trucks for a while now because I like the idea of a fairly nomadic lifestyle, and trucks are particularly suited for messy, functional storage. I figure when I do get a truck, whether it's really today or not, I'll get a toolbox and stock it.

Immediately after the conversation with my dad, my mind was full of things I can put in it; an ax and hatchet, matches, a little dry kindling, a fishing rod, a cast iron skillet, a pot and other cookware, a tent, a couple of sleeping bags, blankets—and I could keep going. This turned out to be great because thinking about my future is generally too far-off or vague to be a motivating factor. Thinking about ways I can make immediate positive change in my life is much more effective than some of the other things I've tried.
  • I argued with a fly for about five minutes before it backed off. It was still around the house so I opened the front door and made it get out. Sounds funny but I have a headache now.
  • Finally got some things back in order once again. Here's to smooth sailing.

@najimi Yeah, Shinobu is my favorite character on the show.

• @Nova: Nice! I was hoping you'd get a handle on things
  • Realized I have to name my son Malcom so his nicknames can be Mac and Macbeth.